Europeana Newspapers project special issue: final report | Australian Policy Online
Europeana Newspapers is a project funded by the European Commission's ICT Policy Support Programme as part of the Competitiveness and Innovation framework Programme (CIP).
The total project budget comprised €5.2 million, with a max. EC contribution of €4.1 million. The project consortium brought together a total of 18 partners, coordinated by the Berlin State Library (Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin).
Over a duration of 38 months, starting in February 2012 and running until March 2015, the project strove for:
- Aggregating 18 million of historic newspaper pages for Europeana, the main European platform for digital cultural heritage, and The European Library;
- Converting 10 million newspaper pages to searchable full text;
- Creating a special content viewer to improve online newspaper browsing;
- Building tools that will allow professionals to better assess the quality of newspaper digitisation;
- Raising awareness and fostering knowledge exchange through workshops and information days.